Canton’s many cemeteries are an integral part of our town’s history. While some have less than a half dozen interments, others have over a hundred! To the best of our knowledge, this is the list of Canton cemeteries:
- Adkins Hines Cemetery, on the west side of Jewett Hill Road at Campbell Road. 61 interments.
- Alden Cemetery (aka Alden Farm Cemetery), off the north side of Meadowview Road. Four interments.
- Alden Hill Cemetery, on the Alden Hill Road. At least 15 interments.
- Allen Hill Cemetery, off Rt. 108 on Allen Hill near the Canton/Peru Town Line. Three interments.
- Ames Cemetery, on the east side of Jewett Hill Road near Campbell Road. 12 interments.
- Canton Mountain Cemetery (aka Canton Hill Cemetery), on the top of Canton Mountain. Unknown number of interments.
- Coolidge Cemetery, at the end of Tessier Road. Unknown number of interments.
- Hillside Cemetery (Canton Point Cemetery), at the north end of Hillside Drive off Canton Point Road near Rt. 140. 83 (known) and possibly as many as 166 interments.
- Ludden Cemetery, off Canton Point Road. Six (known) and possibly as many as 33 interments.
- Meadowview Cemetery, on the Meadowview Road. 72 interments.
- North Canton Cemetery, on Canton Mountain. Unknown number of interments.
- Pine Grove Cemetery, on Rt. 108. 101 (known) and possibly as many as 855 interments.
- Simmons Family Cemetery, on the north side of Meadowview Road. 15 interments.
- Staples Hill Cemetery, on Staples Hill. At least six interments.
- Whitney Cemetery (aka Austin Cemetery), off Canton Point Road. Two interments.
The above information was compiled from http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~meccanto/, http://www.vfthomas.com/Mainecemeteries/OxfordCounty/Cantoncemeterieshome.htm, and http://www.findagrave.com. Photos and additional information regarding access to the cemeteries may be found at these websites.
By Liz Rothrock